**Note: During the server migration, some reviews got lost so we updated this review because we loved the iCade so much!**
iCade ($79.99 – On Sale)
“Flashback to the glory days of gaming with iCade! iCade integrates your iPad into an authentic, arcade-style cabinet complete with joystick and buttons!Impress your friends, family and co-workers with iCade’s great-looking retro design, and then challenge them for high-scores on the most entertaining iPad accessory imaginable.”
Trivia time! This really cool iPad accessory started as an April Fool’s Day prank by ThinkGeek. Little did the world know they worked with iOn Audio to actually make it happen, and the rest is history. I’ve always loved playing arcades when I was growing up, and I definitely still do.
iPad and iOS gaming in general has seen dramatic growth in the amount of games we play and the quality of the games itself. It was only a matter of time until somebody decided to make an arcade out of it and lo and behold… the iCade!
- Beautifully retro-styled tabletop arcade cabinet for your otherwise useless iPad
- iPad connects to the iCADE controls via Bluetooth
- “Atari Greatest Hits” iPad App ready to go with the iCADE, including support for over 100 classic Atari games.
- Atari App comes with Missile Command for free, other games available for in-app purchase. 3-game packs are $1. All 100 games are $14.99
- Compatible with both the original iPad and iPad 2
How To Setup iCade
Setting up and assembling the iCade was a breeze. The packaging was very sturdy, and it came with instructions and all the nuts and bolts needed to set it up IKEA style. I was able to assemble it within 15 minutes time.
Connecting your iPad and iCade through BlueTooth was smooth sailing as well. Make sure your iPad’s BlueTooth is on, hold down the four bottom buttons and the top white one for about four seconds to pair it with the iPad. It’ll give you a four digit code you need to enter to fully pair it with the iCade and VOILAH! Start playing!
List of iCade Compatible Games (Thanks ThinkGeek)
- Muffin Knight – Angry Mob Games
- Minotron: 2112 – Llamasoft
- Velocispider – Retro Dreamer
- No Gravity – Realtech VR
- Super Mega Worm – Deceased Pixel LLC
- Space Inversion – Silverline Arts
- Sideways Racing – Bjango
- Emerald Mine – Les Bird
- Freeesh – Realtech VR
- Commodore 64 – Manomio LLC
- The Exterminator – SUMO Productions
- IronStar Arena – Appracatappra, LLC.
- Compression HD – Little White Bear Studios, LLC
- Mos Speedrun – Physmo
- Warblade HD – Edgar Vigdal
- Plum Crazy – Claymore Games
- HungryMaster – xionchannel
- Cyborg Livestock – PopArcade
- Space Inversion 2. – Silverline Arts
- Stardash – OrangePixel
- Super Drill Panic – OrangePixel
- GoatUp – Llamasoft
- Minotaur Rescue – Llamasoft
- Bob’s Action Racing – VariaMedia GmbH
- Silverfish MAX – Chaotic Box
- Match Panic – Chaotic Box
- Retroid – Flat Black Films
What can I say? This is the ultimate arcade boy and girl’s dream! The list of compatible games that support the iCade continues to grow. If I ever feel like playing an arcade game, I just simply dock my iPad onto my iCade and start playing. The two best games I like playing are Velocispider and Super Mega Worm.
For $79.99, this is a perfect gift for your arcade loving loved one. What started as a prank is now a really shiny, sturdy and well made toy that I use pretty dang often. I use it as much as my iPad 2 Smart Cover (which translates to always). It’s a definite must have!